Wednesday, April 8, 2009

i need some dancing shoes

MY WEEK'S WORK:

1) This week I have been working non stop on Meredith. Our final designs are due to the publishers on Friday so I've been designing for that with every free moment I have. I think this whole process has been a good learning experience because it's a good example of what happens when 5 people are telling you what they want and they want different things. I was very glad that we had our meeting last week with all the publishers because it made us all get on the same boat of where Mix is going. Amy, Lauren, and I have been working together this week on style issues and it seems like things are coming together nicely. I will be excited to see our final prototype. Here is one of my redesigns from a department I showed you last week. 

2) I also did the department for the Arts this past weekend and an evergreen for the department as well. I am not sure if I really feel like I am getting a ton better about departments. I feel like the last photos I have been given were better quality so that is good, but there haven't been any stories that required any illustrations or anything other than a photo request. I don't know how much growth my departments will show over time, but I guess we'll see.

RESPONSE:
Yesterday in class a few of my colleagues reported about conversations they had with designers in the industry right now. I have to say it didn't really help me, it just made me even more nervous than I already am. The thing is that I am not nervous about getting an entry level position, I'm not nervous about working hard, I am nervous that no one will give me a chance. I am worried that I'll have spent this time falling in love with design and then I won't get to do it. I'll have to find a position doing something else so that I can pay the bills. I just don't want to have worked this hard to get into a job I don't like at all.

Although, I think one really good thing that every person said was that you need to make sure your portfolio is diverse. I need to make sure when I put everything together that it shows all the different things I can do. 

IN THE DESIGN WORLD:
This isn't exactly related to design but FOLIO just put out their annual list of the top 40 magazine industry influencers and innovators. As opposed to all of the dark and sad stories about magazines closing, I thought this article gave a little light at the end of the tunnel that some people are still succeeding. YAY!

DESIGNINGMAGAZINES.com:
On an entry a very long time ago the blogger puts this photo up with the caption "Ok, it's settled. There is no appropriate use for Papyrus." I have to say I agree 100%. I think it is a font made for birthday cards or postcards, not for magazines. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment